Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

It's snowing on Thanksgiving Day in Fayetteville, Arkansas!
Three months since I've posted in our blog! I've thought about it a lot because I love to keep in touch with all of our awesome family and friends.
We have been through a lot the past three months, but we have so much to be grateful for! All the problems with our new add-on, like flooding, fixtures breaking, and light controls do not compare with Brandyn breaking his femur. Before his injury while dealing with the add-on problems I commented, "It is okay. I really can handle this, because all that really matters is my family is happy and healthy." WOW -That changed fast!
We were at the Fayetteville High School Varsity Football game. It was the last minute of the game. Deryn had just left to take the twins home and finalize details for his 100 mile bike race in the morning. (He had been out of town for most of the week, just got into town, gave a speech at the Naturals stadium for the Tour de Cure, and then came to the game.)
Suddenly a lady ran past me yelling, "That is my son!" as she ran to the field. I had missed the public announcer proclaim, "Brandyn Young just made the tackle." Since they lady running by said it was her son, I was sad someone got hurt, but so glad it wasn't my son. Then I looked on the field and saw a player down with a head of brown curly hair. I knew right then it WAS my son!
I flew to the field and saw it was Brandyn that had been badly injured. I was grateful he was alert and awake and it wasn't his head, neck, or back. They told be his femur was badly broken. I called Deryn and told him to get to the hospital with the bishop and to call Bryce and tell him to get home to take care of his other brothers. Bryce was at the game but didn't know it was Brandyn on the field until Deryn called him. Bryce ran out on the field with me and asked if he was okay. I told him what I knew, then he left to get home to be with the boys so Deryn could get to the hospital.
I walked next to the stretcher with the EMTs as Brandyn was wheeled off the field into the ambulance. In spite of his great pain he gave the crowd a thumbs up! I went into the ambulance with him. When we got to the emergency room Deryn and the bishop were there. They couldn't get Brandyn enough pain medicine. He was in a tremendous amount of pain. He is so strong and tough. I sat there and wished so much that I could take his pain away from him. The hardest thing in the world is to see your children hurt. They did several x-rays and scheduled surgery for the next morning at 7 am.
The x-rays showed his femur broken in two places right by his growth plate. The surgery had to be just right. We've known the doctor who helped Brandyn on the field for a long time. He met us in the emergency room. He recommended his partner do the surgery because he had more experience performing this surgery.
The surgery did go well and the recovery has gone just as we had hoped. We have had a long hard six weeks, but Brandyn hasn't complained even one time. Before the accident he was the most patient person I know. He has been so patient through it all. He has expressed compassion for others with physical challenges. He is so amazing. I pray that Heavenly Father will bless him with a full recovery.
Brandyn missed six weeks of classes. They are AP classes and he is a straight A student, so this has been hard to deal with. Fortunately he has an awesome home bound teacher, Mr. Robinson, that was willing to help us. Brandyn has been able to Skype most of his classes and keep up. Nothing has ever been done like this at Fayetteville High school, so it has really been a blessing for the homebound kids. Brandyn enjoys seeing his friends, communicating with his class and participating in the class discussions. He gets his cast off on Monday. He will start physical therapy this next week also.
We are planning on going to Utah for Christmas! We're planning to see Jon Schmidt in concert on December 18th, Mormon Tabernacle choir and Dave Archuletta on the 19th, Temple Square lights, Christmas Carol sing along in the Delta center, skiing, snowboarding etc. After Christmas we're planning watching the Jazz play on the 27th and most importantly we'll get to see my newborn nephew, Vincent, if he is born on or before Deryn's birthday (31st). We are not sure about our other plans, but look forward to staying with relatives.
Our lives became busier than we imagined possible when Deryn accepted the call to be made bishop of our ward a couple of weeks ago. He is such a kind, compassionate person. He will be a good Bishop. I know he is supposed to be doing this right now. I am so grateful for him. He is a wonderful husband and father.
I am still first counselor in the Relief Society and when Brandyn goes back to school I will start teaching at Vandergriff again. The week Brandyn was injured I taught Ben's class, Blake's class and the twins! What a great job to have!
Bryce has been finishing up all of his applications for college this week. He is such a smart young man! His test scores and gpa are amazing!
Blake is so much fun. There is never a dull moment when he is around. He is loving basket ball right now and is excelling at it.
Ben loves Deryn coaching his basketball team. Most of his friends are on his team, which is very important for him. He is learning a lot.
The twins are so cute and learning so much every day. They love that they can spell and read. They grab your phone if it is laying around and text their family members! I love the way they spell and what they say. They are in a Christmas play at there school in a couple of weeks. They have been memorizing their parts. Brooks has the lead in the play. He was born to be on the stage.
My boys performed in the annual piano ensemble up on the stage of a big auditorium. They are all at different levels and they have a partner they play with on the piano while eleven other partners are playing at the same time and the same song. It is a great way to start the Christmas season. It has become a tradition with our family. Brandyn even got up there this year with his crutches!
We had a big fund raising activity at our elementary school. It was for the whole school so there were about seven hundred kids and their families. All of the sudden I heard this young boy singing on the Karoke machine up on the stage. He was singing, Don't Stop Believing, by Journey. He sounded really good! I went over closer to see who it was and it was BEN! I couldn't believe it. I was so proud that he would get up in front of so many people and just sing on the spot like that.
Life is good. We have so much to be thankful for. We are having Lynar, Jen and family come over today and Christy flew in to be with all of us for Thanksgiving. I love cooking and making the meal and having family over--it's the best! Hope you are doing well. We love and miss you and hope to see some of you at Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brandyn football

Brandyn football
Brandyn tackling